Friday, November 25, 2011

Memoirs of a bar steward by Scott Evans

A review of ‘Comedy  Memoirs of a bar steward’ (Part One: 14th-25th August: From the city to inside the Queens Legs.) by Scott Evans.

5 stars

            I read the first page and thought I would hate this comedy, with its protagonist having an ego the size of Birmingham. The author says this is based on his life; I hope Jacob is in his imagination and not based on himself. I read on and the book did what a comedy should, it made me laugh, a lot.
            The story is told by Jacob, he is a modern rending of Rick, of the Young Ones fame, large ego, little brain and a very poor grasp on reality. He is there to be bullied. The book had me wanting to bully him; this character is great, as are all the Cox/O’shea clan. The unreality of it all is brilliant, the scenes are short and focused, there is no unnecessary padding and the story benefits from the enthusiastic and fast flowing style of Scott.
            This type of novel is why you should buy a reading device and read Indie writers. This book will never be released by the main stream press, it’s not politically correct, it’s too short and it might ruffle some feathers (We can’t have that can we?). It’s everything we need in this fluffy, health and safety world.
            I loved it.
            The only drawback is, as with a lot of comedies, where do you go now? Without repeating the same moments over and over. I’m curious to see, how the wonderful characters are developed. I will be reading the next part very soon.
            Excellent work Scott. (You can tell I’m a teacher?)
            Review by Jeremy Poole

No comments:

Post a Comment